[Clayart] wood kilns

David Hendley david at farmpots.com
Wed Jan 4 21:21:15 EST 2017

Mel, you knew I would have to respond, didn't you?
Yes, a woodfired kiln is work, but like everything else, it is possible
to "work smart".
In more than 25 years of firing exclusively with wood, I have  never
spent a dime buying wood, and only on a few unusual occasions
have I split any firewood. No chain saw is involved either.
Often, the free wood I get is already dry and ready to burn.
I have saved thousands of dollars in gas bills.

My kiln fires about 200 pots per load, perfect for me, as a solitary
pottery who values quality over quantity. A 14 cubic foot kiln would
be way to small to suit my needs, and a big wood kiln that requires
several people to fire would be out of the question.

I still would not recommend what I do to most would-be potters. It
takes unwavering dedication, the right location, and good planning.
But for me, I would be bored to tears if I was restricted to a gas or
electric kiln.

David Hendley
david at farmpots.com
http://www.farmpots.com