[Clayart] is your website stamped on your work?

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Thu Jan 5 12:19:06 EST 2017

> On Jan 4, 2017, at 8:06 PM, David Hendley <david at FARMPOTS.COM> wrote:
> ...I am in no way disparaging your decision to stamp your website
> on your pottery, but it's not for me…. it is just too eager and commercial sounding…

For my own work, I’m with Dave on this.  My work is one-offs, and even when I do
things that are similar, it’s important to emphasize each piece’s distinctiveness.
It’s a crucial balancing act between the _necessity_ of being commercial and the
_appearance_ of being commercial.

Fortunately, I have a memorable and fairly searchable name, so a legible
signature seems sufficient for me. Finding my website from my name is a pretty
easy process. I also don’t expect many repeat customers, so the number of people
who’d look at my work to identify the source for future purchases seems small.

Not having a legible ID of some sort seems patently silly, though. Using only an
un-searchable chop stamp or dashing off an illegible scrawl is pointless. Why even
bother? ‘Anonymous’ or ‘unknown artisan’ is a perfectly nice designation - for a dead
person. Obscurity is not romantic, nor is it a moral virtue. Identify your work clearly!

If I had a hard-to-search or more common name, it might be a helpful to have added
identification. If that were the case, though, I might find a less product-y way to offer
a distinctive ID. If I did quantity production ware, however, it might make more sense
to stamp my contact info and marketing website directly on the work. Know your
market.

                 -Snail