[Clayart] Kilns and food

Am Griswold earthartam at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 18:51:13 EST 2017

Mel wrote "....as bob anderson did...`oh, that clay
box...yah, that is a food smoker and bar-b-que.`  `wow, how
cool is that?`"

So, my question is not about wood firing, Mel's comment above just brought up a situation I've been pondering since reading a post by a potter on Instagram a few days ago. It seems over the holidays she ran out of space in her oven and decided to cook her ham and some appetizers in her computerized electric kiln. She claimed it worked so well she also used it to bake other side dishes and pies and stated she would do this more frequently. 19 of 20 comments on her post about this were people congratulating her on her ingenuity and stating they would definitely be trying this in their own kilns too. But, the 20th commenter cautioned that toxins and chemicals get into the bricks from firing clay and glazes and these could be transferred to food cooked in an electric kiln. The potter/chef then made a joke about this possibility, dismissing its seriousness. What think you all? I have no desire to cook in my kiln, I'm just wondering if this potter is indeed poisoning herself and her guests.

Peace,
Am Griswold
EarthArt Claywork
Troutdale, OR