[Clayart] Kilns and food

sumi sumi at herwheel.com
Thu Jan 5 21:52:33 EST 2017

Am

That is a question I have pondered. I have occasionally cooked in a kiln
but I don't do it regularly. It does work well although I find I need to
set the temperature a little lower than I would in an oven. The kilns I
use have envirovents and the one I usually use because it is small is
most often used for bisque-firing, so I am not too worried about doing
it once or twice a year. I figure the toxins that could be in the
bricks, if they are volatile at 350 degrees, are likely to get vented
out during the cooling cycle, or during a preheat for a bisque firing.
But if there is research out there I'd be interested in hearing it.

Sumi