[Clayart] wood kilns

Robert Harris robertgharris at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:21:30 EST 2017

Hi Anthony,

Here is my Flickr account. The first three images are of a couple of
tumblers that came out of that kiln.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83928294@N05/?

I couldn't find anything else around that came out (I think it's all sold
or given away). The photos are not great. I'd like to think the pots are
significantly nicer in person. (They're a bit overexposed).

As you can see there's a decent amount of flashing, and the interior shino
glaze has some nice carbon trapping and fly ash spots.

The kiln was of the "Little Vic", hybrid design, developed by Doug Casebeer
at Anderson Ranch.

Here is a link to the Anderson Ranch kiln. Not a very good photo. It's a
cross draft. Chimney on the left, firebox at the bottom on the right, with
3 gas burners (natural draft) above the firebox (at the same level as the
kiln +/-). The gas burners are kept lit until the wood in the firebox
starts to ignite. 3 sticks of wood (16" x 4" around) are stoked every 5
minutes or so when climbing and then 1 or 2 sticks every 5 minutes while
holding. A shift of a few people is helpful, but it's certainly not extra
hard work (unless you do it for the entire 10 hours!).

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/282882420318193268/

Sadly the person on the right is standing in front of the important bits!

Hope this is helpful,

Robert