[Clayart] Is your website stamped on your work?

Owen Dearing owen at mugrevolution.com
Fri Jan 6 19:53:18 EST 2017

LT, you are spot on in your observation about having to click two or three extra times to find a website. And did you know that for the first time in 65 years baby boomers are no longer the largest generation in terms of percentage of population? Just came across that little factoid over the holidays. Youngsters want to get where they are going right now when they are on line. They are the ones making and spending money and they will be the ones on your website more often than not. Make it easy for them to get there, fellow potters. Or, forget about getting their money for your pottery. Simple. Times have changed.

> From my own experience with "on-line" buying, I do not like to use an
> search engine to find a specific vendor when I already have a product from
> that vendor.  Two or three extra clicks at my desk, or taps on a mobile
> device is more than a minor inconvenience , and the extra strokes are
> certainly a distraction to the 20+ crowd that are becoming a major market
> force.

On another note, my dear friend Liz Willoughby has been bugging me to put in a proposal to nceca to do a 90 minute talk on the topic of online sales. I hear that not many potters are doing what I am doing, exclusively selling on the web. I guess that I am or was a bit ahead of my time in this area. Sadly, nceca did some very petty, underhanded things to me last year prior to the 50th conference and ended up stealing or shall I say politely making my clay stories event theirs, so I have no interest in being involved with that bewildered organization, at least for now with the folks who are currently running it. Hopefully someone will step up and drain the swamp over there, but I’m not holding my breath. I will not say anything more about this other than I am still, almost a year later, deeply wounded  (but mostly on the mend) by some very petty politics mixed in with a scoop or two of backstabbing. All over a fun event where potters tell stories - what is this world coming to?

At any rate, if I can be of any help to any of you with the on line sales stuff I am more than happy to help. I’m not the greatest web guy ever but I have picked up a trick or two here and there that may be helpful to some of you. Perhaps we could ask Ray Bogle to set up a section of the Clayart Forum for On Line Sales Talk and get something going over there. What think you, Ray? I don’t have Ray’s email so if anyone does, please forward this to him and we’ll see if we can get something going that can be a resource in this area.

Cheers, Owen

Owen Dearing, potter
Bend, Oregon
mugrevolution.com