[Clayart] my take, logo's

Porcelain byAntoinette porcelainbyantoinette at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 17:28:13 EST 2017

Mel, as always there is great wisdom in what you wrote. I think there is
one kind of potter that must be added. It is the one that needs an artistic
outlet, but needs bread and butter income. For many years I had the
privilege of a husband taking care of all the finances. These days he
joined me with TeachinArt.com. That means we need all the resources that we
can.
For the local market I am making functional ware and for the exclusive
market I am making my signature work. My signature work require lots of
concentration, so by juxtaposing the 2 forms of work I can "breathe"
It is a little harder to market, but I do think the style should keep the
two combined in one.
I have learned over the years that recognition in one's own community is a
matter of education and persistence, sometime the hardest thing to do,
because until you understand the needs of your customer, you may easily end
up with unsold stuff on your shelves.
If I have to advice young potters today to start with a style of work, I
would tell them to keep it simple, keep it limited and grow slowly.
Antoinette Badenhorst
www.PorcelainbyAntoinette.com
www.TeachinArt.com

--