[Clayart] About a marketing plan

KATHI LESUEUR kathi at lesueurclaywork.com
Sun Jan 8 15:22:50 EST 2017

On Jan 8, 2017, at 1:08 PM, L TURNER wrote:

> In economics/business class there is always a discussion regarding the need
> for 'planned obsolescence.'
> Serious question!  How many teapots does a teapot user really need?
>
> Market saturation is real, especially for products that can be functional
> for a 1000 years.
>
> Something to think about.

People don't need teapots, they can just brew the tea in the cup. People like teapots. They collect them. Most of what is in peoples' homes is not "needed". Yet, people have collections of all kinds of things. I collect mugs, teapots, and cookware. I have far more cookware than I need. Others collect serving pieces or wall art. But, people are always looking for something new and different even if it's just a teapot. I remember Overland Pottery and agree with Vince. It got old quickly. Just a new glazes would have helped them survive. I wholesaled my work for years. It was the greatest creativity killer I've ever known. I was alway working for the orders. Didn't have time to experiment and try something new. When four of my major accounts closed in 2003 I decided I had to stop putting all of my eggs in one basket and cut wholesale production to a much smaller percent. Best thing I could have done. Suddenly I was excited about clay and glaze again. It wasn't just a job. My work is definitely better for it.

Kathi

KATHI LESUEUR
http://www.lesueurclaywork.com