[Clayart] Homemade tools...question

L TURNER magnolia.mud.list at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:31:23 EST 2017

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 6:47 PM, Ken Chase <kchase235 at gmail.com> wrote:

> ... I want some larger versions 3/4" wide.Ive seen them made from metal
> strapping but I ...Wonder if there alternative sources of metal or ideas
> That will work.

Ken,
I have made trimming tools using cheap stainless steel table knives from
Walmart - the kind that come in bundles of 4 for ~$3.  Treat them like
hacksaw blades.

Also ask woodworking folks for broken bandsaw blades.

I have some wide hacksaw blades from my dad's workshop that are about 2 mm
thick and nearly 1 inch wide - he worked on steam locomotives.  Point is
visit some metal working shops and ask for used/broken blades.

Also you can use worn reciprocating blades used by some builders.

I also made some from the galvanized framing strap brackets.  The metal is
somewhat soft, but they do work OK.  Use a file to sharpen them.

LT