[Clayart] Homemade tools...question

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Mon Jan 9 10:51:16 EST 2017

> On Jan 8, 2017, at 6:47 PM, Ken Chase <kchase235 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've made several trim tools from hack saw
> Blades which work well. I want some larger versions 3/4" wide.Ive seen them made from metal strapping but I Can't find any in small amounts and Wonder if there alternative sources of metal or ideas That will work.

Metal for trimming and carving tools:

For wider widths:
*steel pallet strapping: usually anti-rust coated, and comes in several widths. Try Home Depot, Lowes, etc. for scraps. (Also makes good corset stays!)
*band saw blades: a wide range of widths (from 1/4” up to 1”) and many tooth sizes. Ask for broken ones at woodworking/cabinetmaking shops - one blade is a lot of metal. Sawmills have huge wide ones, but super-toothy!

For skinny widths:
*mild steel street sweeper bristles: look in the gutter after a road has been freshly swept. Easy to bend and sharpen.
*stainless steel windshield wiper reinforcements: check the trash cans outside auto parts stores. Just pull the rubber wiper apart and the metal will pop right out. Harder to sharpen, but no rust.
*coping saw blades: small, skinny and sharp, but brittle when bent. Brand-new blades are cheap enough.
*large size jewelers’ saw blades: super-tiny and thin! Ask local silversmiths for broken bits, or buy a standard 10-pack - they’re cheap enough. Good for very delicate carving, but brittle.

Use dead Sharpie markers as handles for the skinny stuff.  For large stuff, I go with a split dowel, epoxy, and duct tape, or just duct tape alone.

                          -Snail