[Clayart] Grinding wheels

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:52:39 EST 2017

> On Jan 9, 2017, at 4:07 PM, M Gordon <clayart at earthlink.net> wrote:
> I was polishing a piece of jewelry in Jewelry class & a girl with with long loose hanging hair started the grinder next to me…

When I took the shop foundations class in college, there was a hank of
something nailed to the wall above the bench grinders. Turned out to be a
long-haired chunk of human scalp, put there after a grinder incident many
years earlier - in the ’70’s, when a lot of guys wore long hair but didn’t think
it was cool (i.e. masculine) to do anything but ponytail it.  A ponytail won’t
suffice if it’s still long enough to fall over your shoulder. (Count me a big
fan of the ‘Man Bun’ for that reason alone!)  Many people will stand at a
safe distance when starting work, but lean in as they get involved in the
task, bringing their hair a lot closer than they realize.

The scalp was eventually removed after a visiting parent complained to
the administration, but while it remained, it was a powerful object lesson.
I doubt that anyone who saw it failed to fasten their hair back.

              -Snail