[Clayart] Grinding wheels

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Tue Jan 10 11:18:53 EST 2017

> On Jan 10, 2017, at 9:12 AM, Dannon Rhudy <dannon at ccrtc.com> wrote:
> ... And long hair has extra problems…

And a few benefits, too. I’ve had long hair for years, and back when
I was a full time foundry tech, and when I was a ceramics studio tech
firing the big gas kilns, I had hair down almost to my knees. Almost
nobody knew that, because it was always fastened back securely and
covered. I have (I admit it) lost some eyebrows over the years, but not
my hair.

Short-ish hair can escape a bandanna, and bangs are tough to restrain
adequately. Plain long hair stays put when you fasten it right. It stays
tight to the head even if curly, and stays put under a ‘do-rag’. It’s the
people with medium-length hair that haven’t really thought it through
when they first encounter power tools or fire.

Not that there aren’t some long-haired idiots out there, too. I keep
hair clips (embarrassing, tacky ones from the dollar store) at school
for any student who forgets. The "Clips of Shame!”  ;)

             -Snail