[Clayart] Assembly of fired ceramics

Deborah Thuman debthuman at zianet.com
Tue Jan 10 11:52:09 EST 2017

I’m a bit confused. Are you asking if you can glaze the pieces, assemble the pieces, then fire the pieces hoping that the glaze will hold the pieces in place? If so, there are potential problems. If the pieces are anything other than perfectly perpendicular, and one atop the other, flat sides together, expecting glaze to hold the pieces together isn’t going to work. Pieces move and will get glazed together at unexpected angles. In my experience, the unexpected angles result is ugly.

If you’re going to epoxy the fired pieces together, don’t glaze where the pieces will meet. Epoxy on naked clay is a whole lot easier than epoxy on glazed clay. If possible, making the area to be joined a tad rough is helpful.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at zianet.com <mailto:debthuman at zianet.com>
https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com <https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com/>

"Don’t let anyone keep you down for silly reasons such as who you are.”
Dr. Vera Rubin