[Clayart] Grinding wheels

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Tue Jan 10 18:12:32 EST 2017

Dick C. wrote:
"One additional thing I haven't seen mentioned Is that one should never wear gloves when using a grinder."

Hi Dick -
Let's clarify that it is dangerous to wear gloves when using a BENCH grinder for anyone who has not been professionally trained.  It's not at all a problem to wear gloves when using a hand-held grinder like an angle grinder or die grinder.  And like so many things, it is simply a question of knowing what you are doing and being extra careful.  I hate to think of how much longer it would have taken me to get anything done when I worked as a mechanic and welder if I never wore gloves when grinding something at the pedestal grinder.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University