[Clayart] tool safety

mel jacobson melpots2 at visi.com
Wed Jan 11 10:32:10 EST 2017

one of the first shop teachers i met at our school was an
old, funny but serious teacher of `POWER TOOLS`.
he reviewed all the tools with me so i could use the wood
shop at the high school.  we became great friends...i
respect craftsmanship.  he got it.

he had a very unique style.  `hello mr. right hand, hi there
  mr. left hand...what are we going to be doing with this
machine.?????

he had his kids say that as they worked on power tools.
it worked.
and, has worked for me for years.

yesterday i was making wooden frame stretchers for a
painting series i am working on.  i did six of them.
include small gussets/45 angle wooden mitre corners
and 45 braces inside the frame.  they are strong.
all glued and power nailed.  ( i love my three air nailers.)

i have a 6.5 inch table saw...really nice for detail work.
it has a very sharp fine tooth blade.
i realized i was talking to myself out loud.  `hi mr hand,
are you going to put me in the saw????`

i still do it.
hi mr hand, are you going to take off my finger tip in the
bench grinder?

the same with the chain saw...what is your escape route,
where are your legs.  do you have heavy gloves on?????
all the rules, out loud.

anyway, i awas laughing to myself and decided it is a great
lesson.
mel