[Clayart] Gloves and rotating equipment

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Wed Jan 11 11:03:20 EST 2017

> Dick wrote:
>
> One additional thing I haven't seen mentioned Is that one should never wear
> gloves when using a grinder.

In general, if the tool can snag the glove and pull your hand along
with it, skip the gloves. You might lose skin by skipping them, maybe
even part of a finger, but you are far less likely to lose a whole hand
or more.

Angle grinders and other rotary handhelds like die grinders are not
terribly hazardous to use with gloves, and will more likely grind a chunk
out of your glove (as intended) than snag it. That’s what gloves are for.
Well, that and handling rough/nasty objects.

Stationary tools are a greater hazard. It’s not their stationary-ness
per se that is at issue, but their greater angular velocity at the surface
of the medium. (RPM's don’t count for squat by comparison.) It’s far
more likely for a glove to get pulled along, and guards can sometimes
make it worse by creating a pinch zone that traps the glove/hand
against the wheel. A bare hand can get caught, too, but human skin
is fragile stuff compared to cowhide, and you can pull your hand back
easily, though at the cost of some flesh. A hand trapped in a glove can
be held quite firmly and be difficult to extract from harm’s way.

Toothed tools are another matter, though. NEVER wear gloves around
a power saw! Gloves have _some_ potential to be drawn into grinders,
but if a big saw tooth catches a glove, it WILL get snagged, guaranteed,
and the tougher the glove, the worse the outcome for you.

              -Snail

p.s. Got new welding gloves. ‘IronCat’ brand, size small: Wide enough
but without being too long in the finger, insulated and with elk-hide
backs for flexibility.  I am a notorious cheapskate, but good shoes and
good gloves are worth eating a lot of ramen to get. And no, I don’t use
my welding gloves to grind. Or unload a kiln. Wrong tool for the job.

             -S.