[Clayart] Is your website stamped on your work?

Taylor Hendrix wirerabbit2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:41:06 EST 2017

Owen, darling,

You know I love you like a potter, but I'm wondering why David's preamble
that went something like "I am in no way disparaging your decision to stamp
your website on your pots" did not put you in the correct frame of mind to
receive his opinion? Anyone who has been on this list for at least as long
as I have knew long before his post appeared that David's take was not
going to be the same as yours. He has expressed this opinion before and it
sounds reasonable. Now, anyone who is familiar with you and your work
likewise knew well before reading your full post what your opinion would
be, and it too sounds just as reasonable as David's and will suffice. We
are of course not writing about end-of-world stuff here, fire and ice, but
rather marketing strategies.

Both you and David put addresses on the bottom of your pots for the exact
same reason: repeat business. David's address is on planet earth. Owen's
address is in ether space. THERE IS NO APPRECIABLE DIFFERENCE! These two
addresses are where these makers conduct most of their business. You can
not hope for repeat business if people do not know where you do business.
Marketing 101.

David wants folks to know where his Pottery is, so he makes sure that
happens. Owen wants folks to find his storefront, so he makes sure that
happens. I can only assume they both wish these things because they wish to
sell more pots.

My opinion: Owen you need to read more carefully and not take another's
reminiscences personally. David, you need to take one step toward modernity
and realize that now anyone can have a website not just the mass producers.

And I need to get back into the studio before I kill someone.

T out

Taylor, in Rockport TX
wirerabbit1 on Skype (-0600 UTC)
https://www.facebook.com/Wirerabbit.Pottery/