[Clayart] WWW on pottery - what bothers me

KATHI LESUEUR kathi at lesueurclaywork.com
Thu Jan 12 22:49:45 EST 2017

On Jan 12, 2017, at 11:42 AM, Chris Foxwell wrote:

> .....Assuming one can even make out the signature.    I'm sure I've picked up
> many fewer pots than most, but when I turn them over to look for a
> signature or mark to confirm they are handmade ninety percent of the time I
> can't read it.    And,  while the crisp distinct lettering of a stamp has
> the appearance of mass produced work, it does allow me to figure out where
> it actually came from.....

How many times have we had on Clayart a post that said, "can anyone identify this potter". I've often seen pots at a friends house and not been able to figure out who the potter was. I'm always amazed at potters who don't want anyone to know who made their work. Initials or a stamped chop will not tell anyone anything.  An ilegible signature is just as bad. It may be arty, but it's worthless. My work often shows up in ETSY vintage shops. My signature is clear and I could be found by anyone. Even if you have a mark that you have promoted well, if someone isn't familiar with that mark they will never be able to find you to buy more of your work. If I had a more common name, like Jane Smith, I'd also put a stamp on the bottom that said "Ann Arbor" so that they would have a better chance of finding me.

KATHI LESUEUR
http://www.lesueurclaywork.com