[Clayart] Dates on Pots

Deborah Thuman debthuman at zianet.com
Fri Jan 13 14:05:02 EST 2017

I’ve taken to numbering my pots. I keep a glaze notebook were I put the pot number along with the glaze or glazes I used. That way, if someone asks me to make an additional piece with the same glaze, I’m not sitting there scratching my head and wondering what glaze I used. Customers seem to like knowing they can ask me to make a mug/canister/bowl/whatever in the same fashion as the piece they already have.

I wanted to start over with #1 each year but I’m rethinking how to do that after reading your post. 1-17, 2-17, 245-17 was what I had in mind. Now, I’m thinking about changing the stamp a tad each year. Norataki changed the color and style of the stamp on the back of their china every few years. Collectors -me being one - can date the piece by the stamp. Perhaps a different wash on the bottom of the piece each year???? Blue year. Green year. RIO year.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at zianet.com <mailto:debthuman at zianet.com>
https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com <https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com/>

I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I’m more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves.
Jerry Garcia