[Clayart] Dates on Pots

David Hershey dmhlb at dmhstudio.com
Sat Jan 14 00:23:30 EST 2017

Hi All,

Happy New Year! I'm still here listening, but haven't had much to say...

Re: websites and dates on pots: I've been putting my website on my work for
about 5 years now. I use a custom metal stamp.

I've gone through various numbering schemes, and have finally settled on
this. The year number and 3 more digit places. I never make more than 999
pieces in a year, but I could add another place if necessary.

I also put a symbol after the numbers to tell me what clay it is. Right now
I'm only using two clays: a white stoneware and a warm buff stoneware.

It's very hard to tell them apart when bisqued, but I need to be sure
because the glaze reacts very differently on the two clays.

A serial number looks like this: 17024..  ie: 2017, piece number 24, two
dots for 60/40 warm buff clay.

Lately I've been making mostly my finger labyrinths, because that's what
people seem to be willing to buy. I've got a few up here you can see:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/dmhstudio?ref=hdr_shop_menu&section_id=12367840

They are tile-like and cast, so it's easy to stamp DMHSTUDIO.COM in the
damp clay while the piece is still flat in the mold.

I use cheap metal number stamps from Harbor Freight or such for the serial
number, which is stamped below the web stamp on the second day when
cleaning the piece.

The record of the serial number is very handy for keeping track of a piece,
glaze, and especially for trying to figure out what might have gone wrong
during a firing.

Total time to stamp the website and serial number: less than 1 minute.

Best always,
DMH

DMH Studio + Design
2629 Manhattan Ave #137