[Clayart] Dates on Pots

Dannon Rhudy dannon at ccrtc.com
Sat Jan 14 09:05:00 EST 2017

I recall that Kurt Wild dated/numbered his work, for
whatever purpose. For glaze tests, he had notebook after
notebook with numbers & letters and however he did
it. He'd been doing that since grad school, and the
number of tests......must've been a zillion notebooks.

I've found that the easiest way to keep a record of what
year a pot was made is to make a little stamp, about the
size of a chop mark, for each year. Not with a date, but
with a design.  Keep a little book
with each year's mark. Stamp the design in the book with ink or
iron oxide or whatever.   Doesn't matter to most buyers,
but might matter eventually.  In any case, in that way
YOU will always know when something was made, but the
buyer won't know. It will just look like another chop
mark. A grad school friend, Doug Gray, used to use this
method.  It seemed a good idea to me, and still does.
Easy, and if you carve the little stamp out of clay,
bisque fire - you can keep the stamp, too, if you like.

regards

Dannon Rhudy

Subject: Re: [Clayart] Dates on Pots

I use this system with my glaze tests ... but not my pots. Go figure :)!