[Clayart] WWW on pottery - nothing bothers me........

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 14 13:27:49 EST 2017

Lis said: "
Lots of people have told me to put the date on my pots. I don't because
the one time I tried it nobody bought pots from the previous year, they
all figured if it hadn't sold last year, it must be no good. And as to
putting the location, unless you are making tourist stuff, why?">>>>>>

Hi Lis,

The "why" could be, that even if we are not selling to tourista, pots do travel far and word of mouth is only "seven" away from everyone in the world. Over the years I've been contacted from places I've never been with calls going something like this: " hi are you still making tea pots/mugs or....? I have/saw one of yours and would like to know if you have more and will ship."

At least a legible name keeps one in touch.   Who would not wish for every "easy" sale possible. Freebie $$$$$$

An inventory number can "code" the year, clay body, glaze and much else important to your production and record keeping.

If one has too many "picked over" pieces at season's end, and sales were otherwise brisk, it would be good to consider why these pieces are still in our possession.

Consider it the "buying public critique."   Not the last word by any stretch, but still valid where sales are concerned.    Meet them half way by discerning  the range of what they like that we would like to enjoy making.  Good pots always sell.

Interestingly to some of us, I'm sure, is the revived and growing interest in serving food in clay bowls. Some really "rustic" gaining converts in a high end sort of fine food presentations.

With no negative reflection on your work Lis,  each of us must ask self: Are there design or craftsmanship improvements to be made, or is this line or style just not interesting enough now/anymore to people who "butter my bread?"

Misneach,

David