[Clayart] WWW on pottery - what bothers me

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:19:52 EST 2017

R U getting a little picky and touchy Vince?

I did not say anything negative about your work so are you just having a bad day or R U looking and spoiling fer a fight?

Of course we who take risks with our work, and intend to grow and develop in an increasingly refined and mature artistic expression over years and decades do eventually find that even work we are proud of and that we felt expressed "us" at that time no longer expresses our current taste and aesthetic sensibilities.  We look forward to change!!!!  Right??? So what to do?   Is any piece so precious to our egos or $$$$ that we can't conceive of trashing it to free ourselves from taking it all too seriously???

So what to do??? Grow, die, or become a "tour guide" to workshops on exotic shores when all else fails and our public is looking for a new high.

So What to do????

Personally, I grow weary looking at the same-o same-o, though well crafted, pitchers with the elongated pour spouts that virtually  "everyone" who is "anybody" out your way is fond of making.  One could easily scoop out a deep rut with those things and get lost down there forever.

Perhaps you could use your creative influence as an artist and educator to effect new and exciting directions. Ya I know "tradition" or is it tra-ditch-ion?

David