[Clayart] aluminum foil

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Fri Jan 20 11:53:22 EST 2017

> On Jan 20, 2017, at 7:55 AM, Barry Salaberry <bsalab at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I use alumina hydrate on my shelves.
>
> I paint diluted white glue (1 T glue [Weldbond], 1 C water), around the
> perimeter of the shelf, then sift alumina hydrate through a large 40 mesh
> screen over the whole shelf.  I do this in a spray booth, with a respirator
> to be safe.
> I do this to catch drips, and don't use a kiln wash...it does not work
> perfectly, and I have to grind large drips.  But it allows me to brush off
> the hydrate, and save that for re-use, and most important for me, to be
> able to flip the shelves to deal with warping issues.
> I also use the alumina hydrate with the wax, and it does work well to keep
> lids from sticking in galleries.

Dear Group;

When I was in school some 50 years ago, I painted the walls of our salt kiln with aluminum house paint, and painted the feet of my pots with the same paint. During the early part of the fire, the paint burned away leaving alumina oxide on those surfaces, which remained protected from attack by the salt. It worked pretty well, and was a cheap way to apply the protection.

Cheers, Hank in Eugene, OR