[Clayart] Large tile question

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Sun Jan 22 16:52:14 EST 2017

Most clay slabs have inconsistencies built into them. Compressed clay
towards the center and stretched around the outside. This means the
outside clay will shrink more during drying and firing. The result is
warped tiles.

If you really concentrate on building the slab without building the
inconsistencies in to it you will stand a better chance of not having
it warp.

One way is to recompress the clay around the outside edges.

As Snail says - not trimming the outside edges until some of the
drying has taken place is helpful - just mark the outside edges before
shrinkage takes place and cut to size when the slab stiffens.

Wedging some grog into Bmix will help a lot. You might do a few tiles
out of clay with different amounts of grog wedged in to see how that
helps with warping.

I do think it is wise to make smaller tiles. The problems are much
more manageable.

RR

Ron Roy
ronroy at ca.inter.net