[Clayart] Red Copper Ox

L TURNER magnolia.mud.list at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 18:00:41 EST 2017

If you first wet the red copper oxide powder with rubbing alcohol, the
powder will mix into a water slurry easier.  This is true for all glaze raw
materials.

This is a good trick for adding small amounts of oxide colorants to a batch
of glaze.  Mix the oxide into a cup of rubbing alcohol and them pour the
mixture into the glaze bucket with vigorous stirring.  Much less clumping.

Red copper oxide is the stable oxide of copper.  It is chemically Cu+2.

Black oxide is the reduced copper Cu+1.  It will react with air slowly to
form red copper oxide.

LT