[Clayart] Why is your mug so expensive?

dianamp at comcast.net dianamp at comcast.net
Tue Jan 31 15:03:36 EST 2017

BRAVO David McBeth!!!

Diana

----- Original Message -----

From: "David McBeth" <dmcbethme at gmail.com>
To: "Clayart international pottery discussion forum" <clayart at lists.clayartworld.com>
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2017 12:26:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Clayart] Why is your mug so expensive?

I haven't been following this thread closely, but here are some thoughts,
sorry if they repeat.

I am in the final making day of 300 mugs for a local event.

http://www.utm.edu/979/01/26/2017.html

Each of the mugs represents..

- skill
- time
- materials
- energy
- groceries
- studio insurance
- clothes for my kids
- student loans
- etc etc
- but most importantly, each cup is imbued with a little bit of me. My
thoughts, emotions, ideas, soul. That $1.99 IKEA mug is among a long list
of IKEA loss-leaders. Was made by a machine, has no emotion, no sense of
touch, no heart, is like thousands of other IKEA mugs around the world.

If you want a life-less IKEA mug, have at it. They are pretty, a pleasing
shape, maybe. If you want a mug that connects you to some one, some place,
humanity. Then find a potter and buy a mug.

David

--
David McBeth
Professor of Art