[Clayart] Angle Iron Framework for soda kiln

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Mon Jul 3 23:10:00 EDT 2017

Hi Helen -
I am not sure why your welder wants to do that.  It is certainly not wrong to bolt the kiln frame down to the slab.  I am not convinced that it is an advantage, but if you do want to anchor the kiln down, I would use Mel's suggestion of some right-angle tabs welded to the corner verticals and then bolted down to the slab with expanding anchor bolts.  Under no circumstances would I ever allow the welder to force flat bar under the kiln through the space occupied by the ceramic fiber.  That is a very strange idea.  As long as you have lower cross-members tying the corner verticals together to make a "box frame," additional lengths of flat bar under the kiln would be no advantage at all.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University