[Clayart] Wollastonite/hardening clay bodies

David Woof woofpots at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 6 15:40:06 EDT 2017

Wollastonite is a valuable material, though still often under rated and misunderstood.  What is needed is a working understanding of the mineral composition and characteristics of raw materials useful in ceramics.

Wollastonite is a hygroscopic material and so absorbs water, other materials including clays such as Hawthorne Clay and grog also absorb significant quantities of water during post mixing of the clay body. The simple trick is to pug it wetter than useful and "age" while the absorption reaches stasis.

Wollastonite offers much more to a clay body or glaze than simply as a convenient source of, or substitution for, calcium and silica. It's aricular structural character provides a dimensional stability and flexural modulus to the materials it is added to.  It is not difficult to translate this to beneficial reasons for application in our glazes and clay bodies, before, during, and post firing.

Woof