[Clayart] Wollastonite/hardening clay bodies

ronroy at ca.inter.net ronroy at ca.inter.net
Fri Jul 7 13:47:25 EDT 2017

Just a word of warning on using other fluxes for high fired clay
bodies - stick to sodium and potassium and perhaps lithium.

The use of the alkaline earths (calcium, magnesium, & barium) in high
fired clays (above cone 6) can result in cristobalite production which
can result in dunting - especially in ovenware.

RR

Quoting David Woof <woofpots at hotmail.com>:

> Wollastonite is a valuable material, though still often under rated
> and misunderstood.  What is needed is a working understanding of the
> mineral composition and characteristics of raw materials useful in
> ceramics.
>

> Wollastonite is a hygroscopic material and so absorbs water, other
> materials including clays such as Hawthorne Clay and grog also
> absorb significant quantities of water during post mixing of the
> clay body. The simple trick is to pug it wetter than useful and
> "age" while the absorption reaches stasis.
>

> Wollastonite offers much more to a clay body or glaze than simply as
> a convenient source of, or substitution for, calcium and silica.
> It's aricular structural character provides a dimensional stability
> and flexural modulus to the materials it is added to.  It is not
> difficult to translate this to beneficial reasons for application in
> our glazes and clay bodies, before, during, and post firing.
>

> Woof

Ron Roy
ronroy at ca.inter.net
Web page ronroy.net