[Clayart] Iron frame for sprung arch kiln - skew brick iron frame

Vince Pitelka vpitelka at dtccom.net
Sun Jul 9 14:18:59 EDT 2017

Hi Helen -
I am a bit confused as to what you mean.  If you are referring to the frame member that runs down the side of the kiln adjacent to the skews on each side, you definitely cannot use flat bar, because it will flex and will not provide adequate support for the arch, which could fail.  Use angle iron with one leg of the angle pointing outwards, or else use channel iron with both legs pointing outwards.  Then you just have a flat face against the backup bricks that are in turn against the skews.
- Vince

Vince Pitelka
Appalachian Center for Craft
Tennessee Tech University