[Clayart] Kiln Chimney extension of Metal

jonathan byler jebyler2 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 17:50:44 EDT 2017

if you add a plenum that pulls in cool ambient air and mixes with the flue gasses above the height of the brick chimney, you can use relatively low grade metal above that.  we were required to use special, very expensive triple wall stainless steel insulated flue pipe, because of fire codes and such here.  I wouldn’t worry about it so much if the kiln is in a separate shed away from other structures, and if the heat radiating from the metal chimney isn’t going to make it unbearably hot around the kiln.  you may need an insulated section of pipe where it passes through whatever roof is above the kiln.

I measured temperatures in our exhaust plenum, and they were somewhere between 600-700F at the hottest part of our firing.  There is a significant amount of cool air mixing with the flue gases because of this, making it much less detrimental to the metal flue material.  If this is a natural draught kiln using venturi burners, you may not be able to use this type of setup, since you will be relying on the chimney/flue height to make the draught to pull the hot gases through the kiln.  if the design uses natural draught, you will want a tight and insulated chimney to keep the draught proper for the height and chimney cross section calculated in the initial design.  Regular house brick may not be able to take the heat of the exhaust gasses, and may not hold up to the action of the soda on the bricks.  Whatever you do, be prepared to modify it later if it doesn’t prove satisfactory when actually fired.