[Clayart] Brown

Deborah Thuman debthuman at zianet.com
Wed Jul 12 15:26:37 EDT 2017

Snail wrote: Seriously?the first time I met John Gill, he said to me, I can tell you?re
from New Mexico: all your work is brown.

Yep. It’s a brown state. I’m from Buffalo, NY and the first time I flew to Albuquerque (so I could take the NM bar exam), I started to panic as soon as I saw the ground as the plane began to descend. The entire state is BROWN.

What’s around us colors what we perceive. I wanted to make a quilt using fall colors. Except I had moved to New Mexico and most of the quilt was green and purple. That’s because fall is when it’s green here and when the asters bloom. Pansies are a winter flower.

As much as I love color, I found myself with a life-time supply of glazes that give assorted shades of brown. I had to concentrate the next time I bought glazes to make sure I didn’t get any more brown.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at zianet.com <mailto:debthuman at zianet.com>
https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com <https://debthumanblog.wordpress.com/>
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DebThuman?ref=hdr_shop_menu
https://debthumanart.com <https://debthuman.wixsite.com/website>

I’m not what happened to me. I’m what I chose to become.