[Clayart] Oversize chimney due to altitude

Helen Stone helenestonepeony at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 11:34:05 EDT 2017

Hi folks, thank you for your responses re the type of iron to place along
the side of the skew bricks of my sprung arch soda kiln.  Iron work is
looking good, and Paco my welder is making me safety-wise burners.

After reading all of your different kind remarks about the size of the
chimney - I live at about 5,000 feet in the Ecuadorian Andes - I opted to
make the chimney deeper by the width of one brick up to a certain point
above the damper , and then to constrict the bricks in to make a 9 inch X 9
inch standard chimney interior.  Presently the chimney is only built to
just above the damper.  I have the opportunity to restrict the lower
interior portion of the chimney.  My idea is to put into place inside the
chimney, only in the area where it is one brick deeper than normal, a stack
of loose bricks, one of top of the other.  Then, upon firing, if this
system works I can just leave the bricks inside the chimney.  If I need
more draught, I can climb into the kiln and reach my hand into the chimney
opening and remove the bricks one at a time (with some struggle).  What say
you to this crafty plan?  Am I nutty?

So far I have made the two burner ports, which are diagonal to each other,
one in front and one in back, a bit wider than normal.  I can always insert
a brick piece to close the ports a bit if required.  The chimney flue is
the usual size i.e. 9 X 5 if I remember.

Helen in southern Ecuador