[Clayart] Oversize chimney due to altitude

jonathan byler jebyler2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 13:20:38 EDT 2017

I wouldn’t worry about constricting the whole chimney.  It may be much more effective to constrict the flow at the flue opening, and again with the damper.  I think it’s better the whole chimney is a little too big than too small, since too much draught is an easy problem to fix - you simply remove material from the top of the chimney and make it shorter.  Or you could (and maybe should) have a “passive damper”, which allows extra air from outside into the chimney, which will lower the volume of air getting pulled through the kiln, and also cool the flue gasses somewhat slowing things down a bit.

All of the kilns I have fired and built are down draught types and have the burners beside the chimney pointing towards the front opening of the kiln.  I’ve seen people do a burner in front and a burner in back, and don’t know if there is a real advantage to one or the other.  My thought has been that if the burners come in symmetrically from the back, it keeps side to side differences in temperature minimal, and your target brick sets the heat distribution front to back.  Our soda kiln is a downdraught design, and works pretty well in this regard, but after a number of firings, I wished that it would be a cross draught kiln instead, so that the effects of the soda on the ware would be more directional.  I’m hoping one day to have the time to reconfigure things and see how that goes.

Good luck with this, I hope it all fires off well when you’re done!