[Clayart] Oversize chimney due to altitude

jonathan byler jebyler2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 20:02:37 EDT 2017

Hi Hank,

I don’t disagree at all regarding the actual damper.  I don’t know how you could properly fire a kiln without one.  but a passive damper somewhere above the “active” damper used to control and/or create back pressure in the ware chamber itself would definitely lower effect of the the overall draw of the chimney with regard to its pull on the gasses in the kiln in the same manner than lowering the height of the chimney would do.

Regarding the wet wood, steam is a much better conductor of heat than dry air is.  Physics and Chemistry classes are so much more important than most folks realize when they are taking them in high school, if they even have to take such classes.

-jon