[Clayart] Iron

Steve Dalton ccpotteries at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 14 10:01:59 EDT 2017

Good Morning Antoinette,

What percentage of iron oxide are you using?

I ran in to the percentage problem with my iron red glaze. I always used the 97-98% percent iron until one supplier suggested try the Spanish 89%. I can not remember the reason now.

Since I have large tubs of glaze and just add 5 gallons as needed. I did not notice the gradual shift until it was coming out brown. I thought my bone ash had degraded.

Over a course of several months and testing various recipes, I had a hunch and tried my old bag of 97%. I was back to my old bright iron red.

Hope this helps,

Steve Dalton
Clear Creek Pottery
Lake Stevens, WA