[Clayart] Iron

Antoinette Badenhorst porcelainbyantoinette at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 10:32:16 EDT 2017

Thank you to those of you that took the time to answer. I do not have a
conclusion of why this turned out brown yet. Will use new iron and test.

One of you mentioned the bone ash - artificial versus real, which raised
the question with me if the bone ash may "expire", since I used the real
thing.

As I mentioned before: I used the exact same materials that I used on
porcelain before. All these (except the silica and maybe the custer) came
from batches that I had in my studio for the best part of 15-18 years. (yes
I have some valuable materials.....)

The recipe is no secret, it is similar to many others available online, but
the reason I want to do it again is because over time some of the plates
that I glazed with it wore off, which told me that there is maybe not
enough silica in this recipe. So I want to alter it some, but first need to
make sure I have the color right.

* Ralph’s Terracotta.*

Custer F.                           41

Talc                                     9

Bone ash                          13

Lith Carb.                            2

Kentucky Ball clay            13

Silica                                 13

Add:

Iron ox                                 9

Anyone else have some input? I will appreciate that.

--

Antoinette Badenhorst

PorcelainByAntoinette <http://www.porcelainbyantoinette.com/>

TeachinArt.com