[Clayart] Wollastonite/hardening clay bodies

Hank Murrow hmurrow at efn.org
Fri Jul 21 09:57:33 EDT 2017

> On Jul 20, 2017, at 6:25 PM, M Gordon <clayart at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> I remember a show about very large clay panels being made (I think in China ) so large it was hard to believe they could be handled. Mike Gordon On Jul 20, 2017, at 1:11 PM, Paul Gerhold wrote:
>
>> I remember an article about that as well.  If I remember correctly they were poured panels.  Wollastonite is also used in commercial tiles to allow fast firing and cooling.

Hank in Eugene replies;

Some of you who attended the 2006 NCECA in Portland OR may have seen a show at the Aurora Gallery in Vancouver WA of wall tiles called Migrations of the Heart” that 37 large tiles among which were two tiles nearly a meter(36” square) in size and 7/16” thick. These were made from normal throwing bodies, and had my Shino glaze on a surface of rolling hills with migrating birds. I rolled the tiles on an early 40” Bailey slabber, and fired them on Advancer shelves.

Cheers, Hank