[Clayart] Need an adhesive that will withstand a hot, dry climate

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Sun Jul 23 17:29:01 EDT 2017

> On Jul 22, 2017, at 1:40 PM, Deborah Thuman <debthuman at zianet.com> wrote:
>
> A friend sent me about 20 pounds of buttons, and this morning, I found a tutorial about how to turn buttons into earrings.
>
> What I need is an adhesive that will withstand the desert…

Desert or not…

E-6000, Goop, and their kindred are slightly flexible, which makes them less than ideal if
you are gluing earring post backs onto things. If the fit is very good - perfect flat against
perfect flat - then superglue will do well. If there is any gap or irregularity, however (like
where you might have cut a button shank off), then superglue will serve far less well. It
does not fill gaps effectively, and it loses strength the more of it you apply. Epoxy will
be the best option, as it fills irregular gaps well and is strong and rigid.

However: with almost any adhesive, including E-6000 and epoxy, it really helps to rough
up any shiny surfaces with just a bit of sandpaper, especially if plastics are involved.
(Plastics are always problematic, even with so-called ‘plastics’ epoxies.) And just as with
paint, any shiny-smooth surface makes a rather bad bond unless chemical solvent
processes are involved. You must also make sure it’s dust-free and very clean - no finger
oils, etc - so wipe both parts with alcohol, or rub well with a soapy cloth.

          -Snail