[Clayart] dampers and flues (business)

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Tue Jul 25 16:38:17 EDT 2017

On Jul 25, 2017, at 10:12 AM, Paul Gerhold <gerholdclay at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it is just my sensitivities but using the term " product" to refer to the results of my ceramic efforts  just does not seem exactly appropriate.  To me the use of the term has more relevance to manufacturing type operations than it does to the work of my hands and mind…

Some people working in clay do almost everything as one-offs, in accord with the
expectations of fine art, while others are solidly in the realm of production craft,
and others follow a practice somewhere in between.

These are all legitimate and potentially viable modes of work, but require very
different business practices in terms of cost calculation, marketing, customer
relations, and more. It would be absurd for someone doing catalog-consistent
standard ware in quantity to weigh the ‘acceptable’ balance of time spent per
item in the same way as an artist working on large-scale unique commission
pieces.

Everyone who wants to do their craft for a living needs to face the necessity
of budgeting, cost control, and rewarding the value of their own labor in a
sustainable way, but there’s more than one ‘way’, and every artisan has to
find their own balance relative to their place in the arts ecosystem.

                    -Snail