[Clayart] costs and business (digression)

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Thu Jul 27 15:40:36 EDT 2017

On Jul 27, 2017, at 6:28 AM, Paul Gerhold <gerholdclay at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would hope that anyone who works in clay would get personal satisfaction and pleasure out of their work.

Yeah, me, too. I realized on re-reading that just hacking one over-long
e-mail in half (previously contrasting professional versus recreational
expectations and practices) did leave this second, digressive half a
bit free-floating, without the lead-in of Part 1. (And the I went and changed
the subject line, too…)

I should have said that some people do a craft purely for personal satisfaction,
while others also expect or require remuneration in actual money, bringing
additional considerations to their studio practice.

Anyone who chooses to take something they love doing and try to make a
living from it is making what from the outside can seem a simple choice,
perhaps with money as the only obvious stumbling block. In reality, if a
large part of the joy of the endeavor is in the spontaneous freedom to do
it however and whenever you choose, then making a career of it will limit
that aspect rather severely, especially if it intended as a sole source of
income. No waiting on ‘inspiration’ - it’s time to go to work, now and every
day. Ideally, the other joys of the endeavor are sufficient to still make it a
rewarding choice, but it IS different from the same activity done as a hobby.

              -Snail