[Clayart] Shakedown Cruise required or not for castable in combustion chamber to dry

jonathan byler jebyler2 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 22:05:17 EDT 2017

I like low and slow, especially when burning stuff out.  you probably want to get all the sawdust burnt out well from that castable stuff in the fireboxes.  i’d let it soak a bit at bisque temp, not sure if i’d worry about trying to fire it all the way up.

However, you could put a bunch of hard brick and stuff through out the kiln, along with some cone packs that go above and below your ultimate target, and get an idea of how evenly things fire without sacrificing a bunch of pots in there.  I Would love to see some pictures of this and the build if you can post them to a web album or something.

good luck!

jon