[Clayart] castable burnout period

L TURNER magnolia.mud.list at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 18:51:45 EDT 2017

About 150 F degrees per hour of THE REFRACTORY (not the gas temperature)
all the way to the operating temperature is what I remember as the
recommendation for rammed refractory ( essentially the equivalent to the
'castable' stuff used by potters) when we cured the internals of a
industrial fired chamber back in the '80s.  We used multiple thermocouples
embedded in the refractory to measure the temperatures - some at the
refactory surface and some deeper within the wall.  The work was done by a
company that specialized in curing refractory lined vessels and furnaces.

There are several reasons to go slow:  1) avoiding explosions from water
pockets, 2) allowing time for the necessary chemistry to take place within
the refractory, 3) avoiding uneven thermal expansion leading to cracks.

LT