[Clayart] Clayart (Paper clay bags)

David Hendley david at farmpots.com
Sun Jul 30 19:15:42 EDT 2017

----- Original Message -----

> Do you have any idea HOW LONG clay bags,
> like those that hold fifty pounds of Cedar Heights,
> can last? That is, if they are never wet, but just
> stored in a shed. Years??

The answer all depends on what you mean by "shed".
In a proper building, even if it is unheated and cooled, bags will
last a lifetime. I have 30-40 year old bags of several materials,
including Goldart and Redart, that are still in fine condition.

If the shed is questionable and the bags are directly on
a concrete, or worse, floor, they won't last long. If insects
and/or rodents have free reign in the shed, the bags are
likewise likely to fail. Silverfish can eat paper!

Interestingly, way back when I was setting up my studio,
I bought 2 50-pound bags of several materials that I seldom
use (there was a big price savings buying 100 pounds compared
to 50 pounds). Since I knew that second bag would not be
touched for decades, I put the paper bags inside black
plastic garbage bags, for long-term storage.
Twenty years later, the plastic bags were crumbling plies
of black, but the inner paper bags were still pristine.

David Hendley
david at farmpots.com
www.farmpots.com

---