[Clayart] levels of buyers

mel jacobson melpots2 at visi.com
Mon Jul 31 17:59:38 EDT 2017

this topic has been going on for years.

there are so many levels of sophistication in art/craft
buy and sell.

people that buy art and craft in new york galleries are
never to be found at the local farmer's market looking for
pots and bargains.

most of the people at the farmer's market are buying melons
and corn...so, the potters take what they can get.

if paul is making high end art, he has to have an audience.
he makes the audience, even if it is at art fairs.  they
come to see him.  many good potters do the same.  next week
the uptown art fair will be in full swing...the good artists
will have a huge number of people looking for them. it takes
years to make that happen.  90 percent of the audience is
`gawkers`....eating brats and drinking beer. they might buy
a ring or ear rings.  a mug, who knows.  the look for cheap
prices.

that is why i got out. melted beer bottles as vases, milk
cans painted blue and green, silly dolls...that stuff sold
like crazy. like the state fair...a new trick every
year...the next year there are twenty people selling the
same crap. so no one sells a thing.

all i know for sure is-  `you gotta find your market and
work the hell out of it.`  no one will ever do it for you.

(sidebar) we had three huge hits with ridatick this friday.
600 stores in canada, 800 stores in Pennsylvania, and the
largest `safety products company in america`...we are in
there catalog..anything from fire engines to ridatick.
they all called us.  i have been pushing a coal car up a
mountain for 8 years, i think i reached the top...maybe.

and, i have two perfect firings of my big kiln. violet and
deep red, shino to make me cry.
not bad, it will all sell at some point.  but, it will not
be on lake and hennepin avenues next week end.
no art fairs for this kid.
mel

--
Mel's Website:  www.melpots.com