[Clayart] Pricing, why, and worth

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:56:35 EDT 2017

On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:19 PM, Robert Harris <robertgharris at gmail.com> wrote:
> Paul, that implies that a working artist basically isn't any more skilled
> or produces anything more valuable than an amateur. You need to defend your
> statement…

I’m not Paul, but I will contend that many amateurs are quite skilled and
do make a quality product, and some professionals are rather mediocre.
If skill and quality were the only factor, then I’d say 'let the cream rise
to the top’, but some people’s work is subsidized and others’ is not, so
only the latter need to recoup the cost of production in order to continue
their work (including labor) and must charge accordingly.

MacKenzie’s love of the humble man seems a bit one-sided when it’s the
other humble potters that suffer for his low-price generosity.

No one can tell someone else what prices to charge, but at the least, it
seems unkind to harm others using an unshared advantage, and it is
surely not in the interest of the craft to devalue it in the eyes of the patron.

          -Snail