[Clayart] Where are the buyers

Deborah Thuman debthuman at zianet.com
Mon Jul 31 23:58:30 EDT 2017

I think the downturn in the economy badly hurt artists. People gotta eat. They can live without art. They won’t live as well as if they had art - but money goes for the necessities first. If your four kids need shoes, you don’t buy mugs, you buy shoes.

Another thing that has hurt us is cheap junk from China. People think that if the price of a mug is $5 in Walmart, it should be priced $5 at my booth. They don’t realize that the people who ran the machine which made that mug got paid pennies. They don’t realize that in the time it takes me to make a mug, a machine probably stamps out 50 mugs. I coil build so it takes me awhile to make a mug and just as long to glaze the mug.

We’re hurt by kids not learning how to make things. When a kid learns to work with wood or sew or make pots, the kid understands why hand made costs more. We’ve got a generation of kids who think everything comes from the store.

Deb Thuman
debthuman at zianet.com
https://debthumanart.com

Art is lunging forward without certainty about where you are going or how to get there, being open to and dependent on what luck, the paint, the typo, the dissonance, give you. Without art you're stuck with yourself as you are and life as you think life is.
Mark Vonnegut