[Clayart] Why I stopped applying for call to artists.

Snail Scott claywork at flying-snail.com
Tue Apr 10 14:32:34 EDT 2018

It’s heavy on academic artspeak, but NCECA IS at least nominally an academic conference, merely one that’s heavily infested with hippie potters.  ;)

Seriously, I see lots and lots of opportunities for functional pottery and craftwork elsewhere. I’m not sure that a formal gallery setting is the best place to see or experience pottery anyway. I’ve got no problem with hyper-intellectualized conceptual clay, or with craftwork rooted in skill, design, and tradition. I’d sure hate to think there’s only one kind of art, but it doesn’t all have to happen in the same show. Maybe you can consider the gallery environment as a sort of ‘zoo’, to keep the academic stuff off the streets and safely sequestered from accidental viewing.

Sadly, my stuff, though plenty pretentious and art-speakable, is probably not abstract enough for this show, so I will join you to sulk on the sidelines.  Salut!

Snail Scott
claywork at flying-snail.com
www.snailscott.com