[Clayart] rain hat stack covers

David Hendley farmpots at eastex.net
Fri Aug 3 18:43:16 EDT 2018

I agree with Mel - no rain cover on a stoneware kiln! The heat and
airflow is just too intense.
I do, however, think it is good practice to keep rain out of your kiln, so
I cover my stack with a couple of old broken kiln shelves. I installed
handles securely on the metal roof over my kiln, so I can climb up
to the roof, grab a handle and safely get up on the roof. Once I am
up there, the handles also work as spots to securely place your feet
while putting the cover on top of the stack.

I cover the top of my stack soon after shutting down the kiln after a
firing, in a effort to slow down cooling. Any air that gets around the
closed damper and up the chimney will be stopped by the cover on
the top.

David Hendley
david at farmpots.com
www.farmpots.com